LOGAN, Utah – Boise State’s second-half comeback attempt against Utah State fell short as the Broncos were defeated, 86-73, in Saturday night’s Mountain West men’s basketball contest at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
The Aggies (24-7, 13-5 MW) shot 62.1% from the field in the first half to put the Broncos (23-8, 13-5 MW) in a hole early on. Utah State used a 22-7 run across six minutes to build the lead as large as 20, but the Broncos closed the half scoring the final six points to reduce the halftime deficit, 47-33.
Boise State chipped away at the lead throughout the second half, getting as close as six points when Marcus Shaver, Jr. made a contested layup with 2:13 showing on the clock. The Aggies knocked down a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession and made their free throws down the stretch to close out the game.
- Chibuzo Agbo led the Broncos in scoring with 18 points while adding four rebounds and a steal.
- Marcus Shaver, Jr. scored all 13 of his points in the second half to go along with seven rebounds and five assists.
- Tyson Degenhart posted 14 points and six boards.
- Tyson Degenhart had his 15th game with 10 points and five rebounds this year.
- Chibuzo Agbo had at least four 3-pointers for the seventh time this season.
With the regular-season slate now complete the Broncos will travel to Las Vegas, Nev., for the 2023 Mountain West Men’s Basketball Championship. Boise State is the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament, and will open play on Thursday, March 9, at 7 p.m. MT against the winner of UNLV and Air Force.