Boise has been composting since June 2017, and the program has been an overwhelming success. Since the launch, we have collected over 70,000 tons of compostable material! Completed compost is available at our pick-up sites at the Idaho Botanical Garden and Joplin Rd. Residents can pick-up two cubic yards per year for free.
- Curbside compost collection is weekly. Place any overflow compost in paper bags next to your cart
- No plastic please! Put your compost in paper bags or loose in the cart
- Double check your yard waste for dog toys, such as balls and frisbees
- Just because something says ‘compostable’ does not mean it can go in your compost cart. Compostable bags and trays are made to break down in a landfill and cannot be processed at our facility.
Leaves are collected each week, so you don’t need to wait to fill leaf bags and set them out on the curb for pick up. Simply fill your compost cart first, place extra leaves in paper leaf bags and set out on the curb on your scheduled collection day. To help ensure we can pick up everyone’s leaf bags in a timely manner, we’re asking customers to set out no more than 5 leaf bags per week.
During the peak of the season, Republic Services will use “sweeper trucks” that pick up only leaf bags after the first truck collects the compost cart and up to 3 bags. Although customers may think some of their bags were missed, another truck will come along later in the day to collect up to 5 bags total.
Drop Off Locations (Free)
There are also several leaf drop off locations for residents to deposit leaves free of charge. The locations are listed below will have large dumpster marked “Leaves Only”. These locations are available from October 18- December 3 and the leaves will also be composted.
- Please don’t leave bags outside of dumpsters/containers. If a container is full, take bags to a different site or return the next day.
- ONLY LEAVES AND PAPER LEAF BAGS are accepted at these drop off sites. No plastic bags allowed.
- Residents may drop off paper leaf bags at any of the locations listed below at any time.
- Businesses are not permitted to use the drop off locations, expect the Ada County Landfill location.
- Elm Grove Park
- Cassia Park
- Kristin Armstrong Municipal Park: Open every day (dirt road on north end of the park)
- Joplin Road Compost Pick-up Site – 12142 Joplin Rd. Boise, ID: Open every day (Look for large blue container just off Joplin Rd at the bottom of the hill)
- Willow Lane Park
- Borah Park
- Fairmont Park
- Simplot Sports Complex
- Ada County Landfill (October 11th to December 10th) – 10300 Seaman’s Gulch Rd. Boise, ID: Open Monday – Saturday
Compost Pick Up Sites
Material is delivered to both sites Monday through Friday as available. Compost is available on a first come, first serve basis.
You can pick up compost at:
Idaho Botanical Garden | 2355 N. Penitentiary Road. Boise, ID 83702
Hours of Operation: Monday – Sunday, normal business hours – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Joplin Road Compost Site | 12142 W Joplin Rd, Boise, ID 83714
Hours of Operation: Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Compost is delivered to a site as it becomes available.
Ongoing pick-up of finished compost is self-serve. Come prepared to load your own compost with shovels and sturdy containers (e.g. bags, boxes, buckets). Limit two cubic yards per customer per year. Compost is available for Boise participating compost customers only; no commercial use is permitted. For more information, please contact us.
Application for lawn improvement, mulch around trees and plants at your home for landscaping and as a soil amendment for vegetable gardens.
- Leaves, tree branches, stumps, and limbs (up to 4 ft in length and less than 60 pounds)
- Fruits and vegetables
- Yard and garden waste
- Coffee grounds, coffee filters, tea bags and egg shells
- Pine cones and needles
- Fats, oils and grease
- Pet waste
- Grains, bread and pasta
- Meat, fish, bones or any other animal by product