Want lower property taxes in 2020? You could qualify for some relief from your property taxes. Idaho’s Property Tax Reduction program reduces property taxes on eligible homeowners’ primary Idaho residence and up to one acre of land by as much as $1,320.
“Many people don’t know about this benefit,” said Pam Waters, coordinator of the PTR program for the Idaho State Tax Commission. “We want to make sure that everyone who is eligible applies for the relief.”
To qualify, you must have been in one of the following categories by Jan. 1, 2020:
* Recognized as disabled by the Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, Federal Civil Service, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or a public employee retirement system not covered by these agencies. (Idaho’s PERSI is covered by Social Security.)
* Fatherless or motherless child under 18 years old
* Former prisoner of war
* Age 65 or older
The program requires that you have no more than $31,280 in total income in 2019. You also must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident and own and live in your home by April 14, 2020.
You can get an application for property tax reduction on the Tax Commission’s website at tax.idaho.gov or from your county assessor. You must file an application with your county assessor by Wednesday, April 15, 2020.
For more information:
* Contact any county assessor’s office in Idaho
* Call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7736 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 334-7756
* Visit the Tax Commission’s Property Tax Reduction (Circuit Breaker) webpage.