Guys, let’s face it…we’re idiots. If it weren’t for our mothers, not one of us would have made it past 21. Or even 10.
Whether it’s patching us up after crashing on our bikes, not selling us to the circus after being called into the principal’s office, or spending half their salaries feeding us during our teenage years when we ate like horses, we all have a myriad reasons to thank Mom.
So being as Sunday is Mothers’ Day, I want to remind my Mom of all the reasons I owe my continued existance to her.
* Birth…kinda important, you know.
* Remember Sam the Turtle? Yeah…
*Hitting every tree in the backyard, trying to learn how to ride a bike.
* After learning to ride a bike, using it to jump off every plywood ramp I could build, pretending to be Evel Knievel.
* Cheering me up after the little league basketball team lost 108-22. Yeah.
* That concussion playing baseball.
* Stitches playing football.
* Multiple sprained ankles playing basketball.
* Multiple broken noses.
* All the loud music.
* The college years…what I remember of them.
* Dropping out of college. Joining the Army.
* Helping me stay focused, and finally finishing college.
* Multiple car wrecks. Especially in my old Jeep. Thanks for getting me from the hospital!
* So much more…personal stuff that’s probably is best left unsaid.
Most of all, Mom…despite all the boneheaded decisions I’ve made over the years, bouncing around all over the country in the Army and in radio, I have to thank you for always being my stability. My sanity. My reality check. You stuck by me, even though I didn’t deserve it. Wow…what were you thinking?
So, this Mothers’ Day, know I love you, Mom. I owe you more than I could ever hope to repay, so to make it up to you, I’ll just try to be as good a man as I can be.
Just don’t expect me to ever grow up.